Feb 18, 2008

"One Boy's Struggle..."

I recently received an email from Bryan Hutchinson, author of a blog entitled ADDer World. He asked if I would be interested in posting a news release about a new book he has written. I am more than happy to do so, Bryan....


Bryan L. Hutchinson bravely reveals the story of his life, the tragic details of his struggles and futile efforts to be a better student and son. Bryan eventually was diagnosed with ADD at the age of 37. Diagnosis and understanding after so many struggles with depression, low self-esteem and PTSD, gave Bryan the inspiration to write his life’s story.

“Diagnosis has been the most liberating experience of my life.” Bryan says, obviously relieved and with a mixed smile of hope and wonder. “I have been in therapy for over ten years and have been misdiagnosed for longer than that. I have always known I am different, but I just didn’t know why or what I could do about it—now I do and life has started anew for me.”

Bryan has written his story to help others understand the truth of ADD, how it affects a person living with it day in and day out. He wants to raise awareness of what Attention Deficit Disorder is and also articulate the positive sides of the disorder. He believes the negative stigma surrounding ADD comes from misinformation and the deep rooted belief that ADD ADHD is an excuse for laziness.

“Too many people are in denial” Bryan’s words are said with a genuine intensity and a hint of dissatisfaction. “Society suffers from the denial of ADD and ADHD, families suffer, relationships suffer, the schools suffer, but most importantly the people with ADD ADHD who are already suffering are being ridiculed and chastised. Their is an intense intolerance.”

Although millions are already diagnosed with ADD or ADHD, it is believed that millions of people still go undiagnosed. Some adults are still at risk of remaining undiagnosed because of misunderstandings and misinformation and fear of the ADD ADHD negative stigma, which is still prevalent today. Bryan’s memoir helps clarify the life and reality of someone with Attention Deficit Disorder.

Bryan’s book is his attempt to help others understand that having ADD or ADHD does not have to be devastating or destructive. “There is hope, I have become successful because I have educated myself about my disorder and I have used the positive traits that come with the condition of ADD to improve myself and others can do this too. My book gives examples of how I have improved.”

Why is Bryan’s Story different? “I found so much research about monitored children and doctor’s accounts, but what about the others? I have not been monitored and cared for all my life with the diagnosis of ADD ADHD. No private schools or the best doctors to assist me since a young age. That’s a completely different story. Many people can’t personally relate to those stories, I couldn’t. My memoir has not been edited to perfection, it is not refined or excessively processed and I focus on the causes and effect. Some people have told me my book is like watching reality TV, it can scare, but it also inspires. This is the underdog story, what a lot of us live through. I receive a lot of thank you mail for my book and my blog and that’s what makes this worth it. To help others who have lived through or are living through similar situations. We want to and have an inner need to identify with each other and feel better about ourselves, especially the parents, the reality and forgotten truth is that parents often suffer and struggle just as much as the children and some parents have ADD ADHD themselves. Many parents have found themselves relating to my story. We now know that ADD ADHD can be inherited. Even though my story was written in part to help parents understand an ADD child a little better, it is also helping many parents understand themselves and that is something wonderful I had not really expected to do. It’s gratifying and also interesting to me, because I originally intended to write this for other Adult ADDers.”

Jennifer Williams, a mother of an ADHD child and an early childhood educator tells us, “Bryan’s book has helped me understand my child better from a personal perspective and has given me fresh and positive information which has helped my family a great deal. I already understood the medical side, but the human, personal side is also very important, if not more important. His book is going to be a blessing for millions of people around the world.”

According to the synopsis, Bryan strived to do well in school and please his parents, but he couldn’t, no matter how hard he tried. He was always daydreaming and distracted and had trouble accomplishing his schoolwork, never understanding why he wasn’t like other students. His teachers and peers ridiculed him for his inattentiveness at school, while his father punished him for failing grades and presumed laziness at home.

Bryan’s book is available online at: buybooksontheweb.com. “One Boy’s Struggle: A Memoir – Surviving Life with Undiagnosed ADD” is also available at most other major online book sellers.

For more information about Bryan: adderworld.com

Contact Details: Bryan.hutchinson@adderworld.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I love comments and feedback!