These books are especially for children. They explain ADHD & LD in an easy to understand format. If your child is confused and not really sure what having ADHD or LD really means, one of these books will probably help explain it to him.
Books dealing with ADHD:
- Shelley the Hyperactive Turtle, by Deborah M. Moss. Ages 4 - 8
- Eukee the Jumpy Jumpy Elephant, by Clifford L. Corman, M.D., and Esther Trevino, M.F.C.C. Ages 4 - 8
- Otto Learns About His Medicine, by Matthew Galvin. Ages 4 - 8
- I'm Somebody Too,by Jeanne Gehret. Ages 4 - 8. For siblings of children with ADHD.
- Taking A.D.D. to School, by Ellen Weiner. Ages 5 - 9
- Sparky's Excellent Misadventures: My A.D.D. Journal by Me, by Phyllis Carpenter and Marti Ford. Ages 5 - 11
- Eddie Enough!, by Debbie Zimmett. Ages 6 - 9
- Phoebe Flower's Adventures: That's What Kids Are For; Phoebe's Lost Treasure; Phoebe's Best Friend; Phoebe's Tree House Secrets, by Barbara Roberts. Ages 6 - 10. Especially written for girls about ADHD.
- My Brother's a World Class Pain: A Sibling's Guide to AD/HD/Hyperactivity, by Michael Gordon, Ph.D. Ages 6 - 10
- First Star I See, by Jaye Andras Caffrey. Ages 7 - 10. Looks at ADHD from a girl's point of view.
- Eagle Eyes: A Child's Guide to Paying Attention, by Jeanne Gehret. Ages 8 - 12
- Zipper: The Kid with AD/HD, by Caroline Janover. Ages 9 - 12
- Distant Drums, Different Drummers, by Barbara Ingersoll, Ph.D. Ages 9 - 12. (Workbook/textbook) Offers information about coping strategies, treatment, medication, etc.
- Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key; Joey Pigza Loses Control; What Would Joey Do?, by Jack Gantos. Ages 10 & up
Books dealing with LD:
- Leo the Late Bloomer; Little Louie the Baby Bloomer, by Robert Kraus Ages 3 - 6
- Thank You, Mr. Falker, by Patricia Polacco. Ages 4 - 9
- Taking Dyslexia to School, by Lauren Moynihan. Ages 5 - 9
- The Vicar of Nibbleswicke, by Roald Dahl. Ages 7 - 10 (Dyslexia)
- The Don't-Give-Up Kid and Learning Differences, by Jeanne Gehret. Ages 8 - 12
- My Name Is Brain Brian, by Jeanne Betancourt. Ages 8 - 12
- How Dyslexic Benny Became a Star: A Story of Hope for Dyslexic Children and Their Parents, by Joe Griffith. Ages 8 - 12
- Josh! A Boy with Dyslexia, by Caroline Janover. Ages 9 - 12
- Just Juice, by Karen Hesse. Ages 9 - 12
- Sixth Grade Can Really Kill You, by Barthe DeClements. Ages 9 - 12
- How Many Days Until Tomorrow?, by Caroline Janover. Ages 9 - 12
- Succeeding with LD: 20 True Stories about Real People with LD, by Jill Lauren, M.A. Ages 10 & up
A fantastic resource for purchasing these books is half.com. They offer new and used books at greatly reduced prices. I've personally ordered numerous items and have never had a problem. Of course another great resource is your local library. Do you have a book to add to the list? Please let me know: email@example.com.