Sep 4, 2005

Parents as Advocates

As parents, it is our duty to be our child's biggest advocate. We are the ones who know our children the best. We have watched them grow from infancy and only we could possible know all of their intricacies. Therefore, we are best suited to speak up for our children. At times this may be difficult and uncomfortable, but necessary none the less. It has been my experience that the better prepared I am for the situation, the better the outcome for my child. I have found resources on the internet and at my local library to help me in this preparation.


  1. "The Notebook" -- This has been an invaluable tool in helping my child. It keeps me organized and well prepared for IEP meetings, doctor's visits, etc. I highly suggest you consider making one of your own.
  2. Frequently Used Acronyms -- Educational and medical personnel tend to use their own language that is difficult for the average layperson to understand. This article will help educate you on the most commonly used acronyms and their meanings.
  3. Frequently Used Educational Terms -- In addition to acronyms, teachers and other educational professionals also use educational lingo. This article provides a guide for these terms.
  4. IEP Guide -- These links help parents find their way through the Individualized Educational Program (IEP) maze. ed.gov; Free Appropriate Public Education; IEP Hints for Parents; Help when you run into problems at IEP meetings.
  5. Wrights Law Advocacy Library -- Provides hundreds of articles and resources for special education law and advocacy.
  6. Parent advocate -- This site contains information compiled by a mother who has over 40 years experience with ADHD and advocacy.
  7. The Special Ed Advocate -- Subscribe to a free online newsletter about special education legal and advocacy topics.

I have also found one book that is dedicated solely to the topic of advocacy. "Turning the tide : how to be an advocate for the ADD/ADHD child," by Karen Kirk Richards with John B. Lester.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I love comments and feedback!