Mar 15, 2007

"My Thirteenth Winter"....a book about Dyscalculia

I was so excited when I came across this book about dyscalculia. It's the first one of it's kind that I've seen. Since I have not had the opportunity to personally read it myself, following is a review from School Library Journal.


Abeel writes of her torturous year in seventh grade when she was diagnosed with a learning disability. Having been a gifted, creative preschooler, she was not prepared for the realization, in second grade, that she could not do many of the tasks that her classmates could accomplish with ease. By seventh grade, her feelings of insecurity had reached an all-time high, and she began to experience anxiety attacks over everything from having to remember her locker combination to managing her schoolwork to staying overnight at a friend's. When she was finally diagnosed with dyscalculia, she and her family felt relief. At least now there was a name for her difficulties and strategies she could employ. This account is an interesting mix of factual information and memories. Abeel relates her experiences with detached clarity, but each situation is followed by the thoughts and feelings that finally forced her to face her differences. Occasionally, her well-phrased prose slips into cliché, and when she lists the math skills that she could not perform she becomes rather pedantic. While this book is not likely to be of great interest to casual readers, those with similar learning issues will identify strongly with the author's trials and triumphs.

To read an excerpt from the book go to Scholastic. From what I've read it's best for grade 7+. If you do read it please let me know. I'd love to post your review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I love comments and feedback!