I receive a weekly newsletter from Jennifer Koretsky of ADDmanagement.com. She is the founder of ADD Management Group. This week's edition was entitled "10 benefits of having ADHD." I had never really thought of having ADHD in this way. Therefore, I wanted to share it with you.
1. CompassionPeople with ADD have a tremendous power to connect with otherpeople. But it goes a step further than that. We also have anadvanced ability to empathize with others, and to see manydifferent perspectives.
2. CreativityI've never met an ADDer who wasn't creative! Writers, painters,musicians, film makers, designers, sculptors, comedians - the listgoes on! Artistic talents are abundant. Composers Mozart andBeethoven are believed to have had ADD.
3. DriveWhen an ADDer is bored with a task, completing it can seem liketorture. But give an ADDer an interesting project to work on andwatch out! When we want to succeed, and we have the necessary toolsto do so, there is no stopping us!
4. Problem Solving AbilityADDers thrive on solving problems and puzzles. Give us aninteresting problem to solve and we won't be able to drop it untilwe've found the solution! Important historical inventors such asThomas Edison and Thomas Jefferson are believed to have had ADD.
5. Hyper-FocusThe ability to hyper-focus is something that ADDers can use to ouradvantage. When kept under control and directed towards productivetasks, like accomplishing goals and living dreams, it can be anincredible asset that allows us to get the job done, and done well!
6. Sense of Humor/Comedic FlairMost ADDers love to laugh, and many also have a knack for makingothers laugh! Famous comedians such as Whoopi Goldberg and RobinWilliams are rumored to have ADD.
7. ResiliencyThere's no denying that even though there are many great qualitiesthat come along with ADD, there are also challenges. But ADDershave an incredible ability to bounce back from those challenges,and others' criticism of those challenges that we've endured.
8. IntuitionADDers have a sharp sense of intuition. This may be due to highlytuned levels of perception, or great insight into the human mind,or something else that we have yet to understand. Whatever thereason, it's a very useful gift!
9. Idea GeneratingADDers are wonderful idea generators. We don't usually like to bebothered with details, but we can come up with ideas at lightningspeed! We're a true asset in brainstorming meetings!
10. That "Special Something"Many ADDers feel that they have a unique way of looking at theworld, a perspective that others just don't understand. That is,until the ADDer meets other people with ADD! You might say thatwe're on our own wavelength!
Now, I bet you've never thought about ADHD like that, huh? You're more than welcome to sign up for Jennifer's free weekly newsletter. They are short, sweet and to the point. I have found them quite informative and look forward to seeing them in my inbox.