Jan 24, 2008

A Guide to Learning Disabilities

I have known that my ADHD/LD son was "different" since he was a toddler. He just wasn't like the other children I came in contact with that were his age. He sat up later then his peers. He also walked later, talked later, etc. My friends and family tried to encourage me and would say things like..."he'll catch up, don't worry." But, I knew that it was something more serious. It wasn't until he was in the first grade that my concerns were validated. He was seven years old when his school diagnosed him with three learning disabilities: dyscalculia, dysgraphia, and dyslexia. I wish I had followed my gut instinct and insisted that he be tested for learning disabilities sooner. If you have the slightest feeling that your child may have a learning disability, I encourage you to follow through and have him/her tested. Besides the learning disabilites my child has been diagnosed with, there are others.

To read more about these and others, visit NCLD's specific LD's fact sheet. Also, for an age-by-age guide to learning disabilities, visit Family Education's "LD and Your Child: An Age-by-Age Guide."

2 comments:

  1. Hi Shane,

    I just wanted to say that you are certainly the exception to the rule. I am a special education teacher, working on a masters degree, which is what led me to your sight. I am also the mother of a 5 year-old with ADHD and ODD tendencies, diagnosed at age 3 (you need to update your poll :-).
    In my career, I have found many more parents unwilling to say their child is having troubles than those like you and I who try to be proactive. I look forward to returning to your sight and talking with you further. It is very hard to be in this profession and be objective about my son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ghotit (www.Ghotit.com) offers unique writing and reading online services for people who suffer from dyslexia, dysgraphia or people who are not native-English speakers. Ghotit’s first service is an online context sensitive spell checker.

    Ghotit received great bloggers and users report:

    Bloggers:


    http://blog.buzvia.com/site-review-ghotit-co-spell-checker-service

    http://speedchange.blogspot.com/2008/02/ghotit.html



    Users comments:
    - My god I have been look for this for all-my life, help that understands me. I write with a dictionary and thesaurus and some times cant even find the word looking for. I could not hold back the tears from the emotion then when I worked out how helpful this spellchecker will be for me.

    - i really like it and i'm so glad i found it!! it will really help with my homework etc and my teachers wont get angry at me annymore!!

    - Thank you for contacting us with your product. I tinkered with the spell checker for sometime this morning, entering common mistakes that our dyslexic students (and ADD) students make in spelling. I must say that I am extremely impressed with your product and would certainly like to further evaluate it with our students over the next several weeks.

    - that spell checker is SO good, its actually waaay better than microsoft because it tells you the reasen why you are usuing the correct word. i really like it, its really good!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I love comments and feedback!