Jul 25, 2008
Five Things Kindergarteners Need to Know & a Giveaway!
Today's guest blogger is Stacey Kannenberg from Central Valley Publishing and Mom Central. She is also the author ofThirty-eight states complain that children are not showing up ready for Kindergarten and yet where are the public service announcements alerting parents on the 5 things that kids need to know for that first day of school? Make sure to pass this information on to all your friends with kids getting ready for that first day of school.
The following are the 5 Things Kindergartener’s Need to Know and will be tested on within the first month of Kindergarten:
- The upper case alphabet out of sequence or mixed up. Kids will be asked to name the letters listed, such as: B, D, X, K, J, M, O, etc.
- The numbers to 10, out of sequence or mixed up. Kids will be asked to name the letters, listed, such as: 2, 5, 9, 8, 1, 3, 4, etc.
- Kids will be asked to identify basic colors: red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple
- Kids will be asked to identify basic shapes: circle, diamond, rectangle, triangle, oval and square
- Kids will be asked to identify basic coins: penny, nickel and dime
As the year progresses, Kindergartener’s will need to know both upper and lower case letters and numbers to 30, out of sequence. More colors and shapes will be added including hexagon and octagon and more coins such as quarter and dollar. Children need to know their name, address and phone number and be able to get dressed for outside play and use the bathroom independently, to make that first year a success!
And now, the giveaway...
If you have found your way here via the Bloggy Giveaway Carnival, welcome! I'm so glad you stopped by. If you're a regular reader, welcome back. I will be giving away one of each of the books mentioned above. All you have to do to enter is leave a comment on this post. Be sure and leave contact information and tell me which book you'd like to have if you win. Also, let me know if you or someone you know is affected by ADHD or learning disabilities. That's it! Pretty easy, right? I will pick two winners at noon on Saturday, August 1st. U.S. shipping only.
2008 Copyright Stacey Kannenberg, Cedar Valley Publishing, Author of Let’s Get Ready For Kindergarten and Let’s Get Ready For First Grade!