Jul 22, 2008

Referring Your Child for Special Education Testing

When my son started kindergarten I realized how far behind he was academically.  His peers could all recite the alphabet and count way past ten.  My son could not.  He has problems associating the sounds of letters with the actual letters.  His handwriting was illegible.  I thought something wasn't right but his teachers encouraged me that he would "catch up."  I wish I had known then what I know now.  Of course, hind sight is always 20/20, right?

We as parents know our children better than anyone.  Therefore, if you believe your child may have a learning disability, please do not hesitate to have him tested.  Requesting this from your child's school is fairly simple.  About.com lists the steps and explains each in detail.  They also have an informative article explaining exactly what special education is.  You may want to read that as well.  Also, if you'd like to see if your suspicions are valid, you can take a learning disability assessment quiz on their website. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I love comments and feedback!